When you think of summer, do you think of relaxing vacations, or exciting road trips? Well, so do burglars! Summer is break-in season, and burglars know that at some point you will be packing up, and leaving your home unattended. Have you done all you can to make sure your house is secure enough to defy a break in? If not, here are some tips for making sure your home and beloved possessions will remain safe during your summer vacation:
- Keep the bushes in front of your home tamed, and low. Tall bushes provide a great hiding place for burglars.
- Hire a lawn service to take care of your lawn while you are gone. And overgrown lawn is an indication of an extended absence.
- Forget fake rocks, and doormats as hiding places for your spare key. Give your key to a trusted neighbor so there is no chance a robber could find it.
- Purchase a “beware of dog” sign to place outside your home. This can sometimes be enough to turn a robber away, regardless of whether you have a dog.
- Install a home alarm system, but don’t put their sign outside your home. Experienced burglars may be aware of flaws in particular systems. Don’t give them the information they need by telling them which company you use.
- Purchase motion sensor lights and install them both in the front and back of your home.
- When you leave, close the blinds and curtains. Most burglars like to peek in first to see the possible rewards of breaking into your home. If you close your home off to an outsider’s view, they will be unable to see your valuable possessions.
If you would like to purchase a homeowners insurance policy, or insure any of your possessions, contact one of the top insurance agencies in Wisconsin, today! Serving the Waukesha, Mukwonago, Muskego, Pewaukee, and Milwaukee areas, The Bob Wolfgram Agency is thrilled to assist you with any and all things insurance!